I'm back blogging after a tedious patch in life that my husband and I had to navigate. Not interpersonal issues, but a staff problem. My husband works solo, and his secretary was ill. 100% staff absence is not really a very good way of operating. Plus he is overloaded at the moment. I stepped into the breach where I could.
Anyway, for now, the problem is resolved, and I have thought of a number of ways we can function should this situation arise again. As I suspect it will, in one shape or another.
So, by the time I got back sewing I was quite stressed and frustrated. And decided to make a plaid shirt is a loose weave flannelette. Nothing quite like adding to the frustration levels!
So thank you all for your lovely comments. This week I hope to get back to normal and actually reply again to your comments.
So, on with the shirt:
I decided to use a simple style with minimal seamlines and a bit of shaping, so rummaged through my patterns and settled on Burda 2561:
I usually always make a muslin to check fit, but I know that Burda size 38 usually works quite well. So on this occasion I settled for a wearable muslin, basically because I wanted to get on and ease my sewing frustration.
The first problem happened cutting out the shirt. I could not get the side seams to easily match, no matter how I tried. I later figured out that it was because the dart was on the diagonal, not straight. That was after I had cut the shirt fronts out - I had decided that I would be a little RTW and not worry about the plaid matching. I just wanted to sew.
I also noted that the shirt was designed to have a small shoulder pad, but the depth was not specified. I did not want a shoulder pad, but I also did not know how much to take out, so I decided that as this shirt was just a really casual wearable muslin, that I would proceed and work out how much to remove if I make this again.
I did notice the the shoulder seam was way over the shoulder on the picture - so I removed 1/8 inch from that.
I also made a narrow, erect back adjustment of 1/2 inch.
Now, when I came to sew the front dart, I think that was really the point that I worked out why I was having problems with the side seam matching back and front : the diagonal slant of the dart out towards the side was quite marked, although they look quite straight on the trade sketch:
So I sort of straightened the dart up as much as I could. I used the loose weave of the fabric to help, and eased the slightly longer side to the slightly shorter side. I was prepared to have slightly mismatched side seams, but the front darts really had to look seamless as they would be so noticeable - side seams are more hidden. After a few attempts, I succeeded:
Other than that, the shirt was an easy sew, but the fabric did want to stretch and move a lot. The shirt has taken on a life of it's own, though, with an interesting droopy effect. Partly because of the way I manipulated the front dart, and partly because of the excess fabric in the shoulder and sleeve head that I did not remove because I did not know how deep the shoulder pads were. If I make this shirt again, I think 3/8 inch needs removing.
But the other reason the shirt droops is because I am very straight through sides and have a very high chest. So I need to split the chest, alter any dart point, and perhaps even lift through the sides. So the straight lines of fabric have made this an ideal fitting muslin - it shows just what I need to do in the future for all patterns.
Strangely, for all the hassles and imperfections in this shirt, I love it! Maybe because of those imperfections. And I am going to wear this a lot around the house. I'll even wear it out in the right situation - I doubt anyone will notice the droops, which are not so obvious if I choose to wear this as a jacket shirt:
(and, I can see that worn open, the shirt is not catching on the high point of my sternum, so does not look so droopy).
Before I show all views, I will just show you the button detail:
Before I go, I'll just show you the front, back and side views:
As you can see, the back lines are fairly straight, with a slight droop to the side. So I think altering the high chest area will pretty much fix any fit issues with my high chest/erect and narrow back.
So, I shall wear this imperfect shirt with pride. It has taught me a lot.
The fabric used was a cotton flannelette. I had 2.5 metres of 150 wide. I was left with a 1 metre piece and a strip about 25 by 60 cm.
So, next week, I am going to show you what I did with the remainder...
Until then, bye for now,